Home About Policies Reviews Features

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Sizzle & Swoon: Our Favorite Books from Other Subgenres

Welcome back to Sizzle & Swoon! While contemporary, historical, and YA each have two days dedicated specifically to them in this feature, we wanted to include a post where we explored some different genres and subgenres! Romance has so much variety to offer, there's really something for everyone. Without further ado, here are some of our picks that aren't straightforward historical, contemporary, or YA romance. And don't forget to check out Alexa Loves Books later today for a fun-filled post.
Our Favorite Books from Other Subgenres
(Remember that (+A) (+S) (+R) means that (+Alexa), (+Sharon), or (+Racquel) agrees with that pick!)

ALEXA'S ANSWERS

1) The Clayborne Brides by Julie Garwood - Western - I adore this collection of stories. It features a set of brothers, the Western setting and well, some pretty dangerous, but intriguing adventures.

2) Heaven & Earth by Nora Roberts - Magical Contemporary - When I say magic, I mean magic. There's mythology behind each story in this series, and this one is my favorite. I adore the combination of contemporary romance with this lore.

3) Easy by Tamarra Webber - New Adult - This is the only new adult book I've read that really stuck with me. Even though it's a bit cheesy and a lot of big issues go down, I really enjoyed it. The romance was super hot.

RACQUEL'S ANSWERS
1) The Vampire Academy Series by Richelle Mead - Young Adult Paranormal - Rose + Dimka, need I say more? Crazy Rose paired with patient Dimitri and I'm a puddle of swoon goo on the floor.

2) Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers - Young Adult Fantasy - This book made me swoon so hard, my heart legit missed a few beats. And assassin nuns, oh yeah! Love the badass-ery

3) Knight by Kristen Ashley - Erotic Romance - Kristen Ashley's book are serious crack! This book was typical KA fashion crazy but she makes crazy WORK!

SHARON'S ANSWERS
1) Lover Awakened by J.R. Ward - Paranormal - I just read this one, and I had SO MANY feelings. It was intense and beautiful. It made me cry. More than once. I was looking forward to Z's book with a lot of anticipation, but it exceeded my expectations.

2) Heart of the West by Penelope Williamson - Western - This book is freaking AMAZING. I could start a swoon rating system for all other books: From 1 to Heart of the West, how hard did I swoon? Because it would be entirely accurate.

3) The Love Comes Softly Series by Janette Oke - Christian - These books are totally filled with cheese, but I love them! They tell a great story with a wonderful family element and some terrific love stories. I have an incredible sentimental attachment to these books, because I grew up with them. (Also, the movies totally don't count. They aren't a fraction as good as the books.)
There you have it! Do you agree? What are some of your favorites in subgenres other than straightforward historical, contemporary, or YA? Do you love urban fantasy? Shapeshifters? What are some examples? We want to know!
Don't want to miss any Sizzle & Swoon? Check out our master list of all the posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment